Wakefield Trinity Community Foundation

Weekend Round-Up

Weekend Round-Up | Back in Action!!

A rollercoaster of an opening weekend for our community sides, as both our PDRL and Women’s Rugby League side returned to action for the first time in 18 months, while Wakefield Trinity LFC battled to a 3-1 victory at home to Hepworth.

PDRL | Trinity 6-6 Rhinos

After Covid-19 ended plans for a successful 2020 season, Wakefield Trinity PDRL were back in action this Sunday, as they travelled to Kirkstall to face the Rhinos.

With both sides playing for the first time in 18 months, a tentative start followed, with Trinity keeping the Rhinos at bay after a flurry of chances on the away side’s goal-line.  

However, it was Trinity who took the first points of the match halfway through the first period. An excellent break through the line caught the home side napping as Parkinson ghosted through to dive down under the posts.

The lead was short-lived, however, as the Rhinos hit back just before the break. After a scramble on the visitors’ goal-line was eventually forced over the whitewash as Peter Clarke dived over from dummy-half.

An exciting and feisty second-half followed as both sides succumbed to a hard-fought 6-6 draw in their first run out of the season.

Women’s RL | Knights 16-10 Trinity

Following 18 months without a game, it wasn’t just our PDRL side back in action over the weekend, as Wakefield Trinity Ladies RL faced York City Knights in the first round of the Betfred Challenge Cup.

With one eye on their Derby Day clash with the Tigers next weekend, Trinity made the trip across the Pennines with aspirations of making it to round two.

Fresh-faced and eager to get back, Trinity started the brighter at Victoria Park, opening the scoring with just five minutes on the clock as Lisa Taylor crossed under the posts.

After a strong start, the momentum pendulum was swinging in Wakefield’s favour and it wasn’t long before Trinity found themselves with a 10-point lead. A long cross-field kick beckoned for the goal-line as Danie Green pounced to go over.

However, with ambitions to enter the interval with a 10-score lead, York fought back with just minutes left on the clock as Olivia Howarth dived over underneath the posts.

With just four points in it, a nervy second-half ensued, however, a late Knights double spelt heartbreak for Trinity. 

An Alex Stimpson double in the latter stages of the game completed the comeback late on for York, as Trinity bowed out at the first attempt.

Women’s Football | Trinity LFC 3-1 Hepworth LFC

Wakefield Trinity LFC came back from one-goal down to beat Hepworth United LFC 3-1 yesterday afternoon.

It was the United side who started the brighter, though, and with just 14 minutes on the clock, Hepworth took the advantage. After a superb stop by Trinity keeper, Rosie Gresswell, United’s Ingledon slotted in the rebound to give the away side the lead.

However, Trinity rallied and just three minutes after the restart, Wakefield found themselves level. 

Celebrating her inclusion in the South Yorkshire County squad last week, 16-year-old, Neve Renwick, fired the home side level with an incredible strike.

That wasn’t the end of the scoring, though, as Trinity ran riot towards the end. Renwick turning provider as Charlie Blythe added a second before Renwick doubled her tally late on.