Wakefield Trinity Community Foundation

Weekend Round-Up | Double delight for Trinity LFC

Wakefield Trinity LFC was back in action this weekend as they headed to Harworth Colliery in the first qualifying round of the Vitality Women’s FA Cup, while the under-23s faced Hepworth United LFC.

Women’s Football | Harworth 1-6 Trinity

Wakefield Trinity LFC progressed through to the second qualifying round of the Vitality Women’s FA Cup with a scintillating 6-1 victory over Harworth Colliery.

Coming off the back of a hard-fought win over South Shields WFC the week prior, Trinity hoped to extend their rich vein of form with a cup victory.

With just 21 minutes on the clock, captain Emily Heckler continued her hot streak in front of goal as she nudged the ball beyond the Harworth goalkeeper.

With the attackers firing on all cylinders over recent weeks, the Trinity defence hasn’t seen much action, however, when the home side were awarded a dubious penalty just before the half-hour mark, Rosie Gresswell was equal to it, producing an outstanding save.

That save deemed to be decisive as Wakefield doubled their advantage before the interval, Neve Renwick slotting home following a superb assist from Liv Whitehead.

Wakefield continued their dominance after the break, adding two goals in 15 minutes. Whitehead and Renwick combining well for the former to slot home before Rambo Beckett headed home Danni Biglin’s 75th-minute free-kick.

The away side were running rampant in Harworth and wasted no time in adding to their already favourable advantage.

Renwick cementing her hat-trick late on with a superb quick-fire double. The youngster smashed the ball off the underside of the crossbar before slotting home a delicious through ball.

It was the home side who finished the game’s scoring, however, as Harworth added a consolation late on.

But it was Trinity’s day as another fine performance saw them continue their outstanding league form into the cup competitions.


Hepworth 2-6 Trinity LFC U23s

Wakefield Trinity LFC under-23s bounced back from last week’s defeat with an outstanding 8-2 victory over Hepworth United LFC on Sunday.

Following defeat last time out against Hull United, Trinity bounced back in considerable style at the Just Football MDC Stadium.

However, it was the away side who struck first as Merita Prebrezova tucked the ball past the Trinity ‘keeper in the 18th minute.

Despite the setback, Trinity rallied, adding five goals before the interval to complete a sensational first-half turnaround.

The away side did start the second period brighter, opening the scoring through Rebecca Purchon, however, Trinity re-claimed their dominance, securing three goals in the final 15 minutes to complete the victory.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin