Wakefield Trinity Community Foundation

Weekend Round-Up | Cup Final heartbreak for Trinity LFC

It was the big one this weekend as Wakefield Trinity Devs headed to the Stafflex Arena in Huddersfield to face Barnsley Ladies FC in the final of the SHWGL Women’s Cup.

Women’s Football | Trinity 1-3 Barnsley

After a sublime cup run, Wakefield Trinity LFC Devs suffered heartbreak in the final of the SHWGL Women’s Cup at the hands of Barnsley LFC.

Danni Walker went the closest for Trinity in the first half, seeing her powerful header saved before, Barnsley took the slender lead.

Katelyn Rowley’s prod home gave Wakefield a lifeline late in the second half, but it was the Reds who confirmed the victory late on.

Brimming with confidence following their semi-final victory over Dronfield, Trinity LFC started the brighter at the Stafflex Arena, with some neat work opening up some space in behind the Barnsley defence.

However, it was the South Yorkshire side who created the game’s first real opening. Neat work in the middle saw Jess Horsley through on goal, as she forced a fine save from the Trinity number one.

In an end-to-end game, Trinity wasted no time pushing for an opener. Excellent play on the right opened some space for a cross, as Walker, causing all sorts of problems for the Barnsley defence, saw her effort saved from close-range.

Despite Trinity holding much of the first half-hour, it was Barnsley who struck first. Jex-Oldfield slipping the ball through for Sadie Hooper, who prodded the ball home and see the Reds lead at the interval.

Determined to swing the odds in their favour, Trinity pushed for an equaliser, however, it was the Tykes who eventually doubled their advantage. Oldfield was again causing problems as Steph Rigby volleyed home the forward’s cross to add to Barnsley’s lead.

Adamant not to go out without a fight, Lee Carter’s side dug in, eventually halving the deficit. Trinity playing within the lines once again opened space for Rowley to run into, as the forward passed the ball underneath the set-up a grand-stand finish.

Just minutes later, Trinity thought they had done the impossible. After a scramble in the box, the ball fell to in-form forward Megan Brackenbury, who scooped her effort over the bar.

With Trinity heads pushing forward, gaps opened in defence and Barnsley wasted no time to capitalise. After a Trinity attack failed to progress, Barnsley countered, Hooper placing the ball home to complete the victory.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin